Friday, July 5, 2013

Saving Death from the Spider

When a spider catches a fly in its web, I can find a satisfaction within myself that it is good and right, for the victim in this captured entanglement seems appropriate: the fly is a disgusting creature full of germs and is also  an annoyance; but when I see a hummingbird, with its elegant grace of darting and hovering flight, and  its shimmering, colorful coat caught also in a web--this time in the snare of a much larger arachnid, I shudder at the injustice and recoil at this thing and call it evil.  "Too much, too much!" is all I can say: the bird does not fit there, and the spider has outgrown its appropriate size, becoming a monster, rather than a help.  It is a monster.  And now the grace and beauty of this gentle bird shall have its very life sucked out of it through the malevolent straws and narrow eyes of a creeping, feeling thing with too many awkward legs, like a thief's hand bent on violating all that is good and sacred in the home of a kind mother.

I can only conclude that this world bespeaks of a transcendent good, which is now corrupted, though it retains much of its original state of wholeness and offers hints of paradise.  How shall I rescue this bird without the horror of looking my enemy in the eye and even with a stick offered by the benevolence of a tree, avoid feeling its bulbous, bagged body squash under the force of my prodding?  Oh, to think of it, and the awful memories produced!

Now: the bird will drink nectar and bring delight to our eyes amid colors and hues only flowers can bring, whereas that dark, evil creature shall drink nothing except death!


No comments: